Head of Data Science
Streetbees is building the world’s first platform for human intelligence. We make human data accessible anywhere in the world by connecting brands with real people on the ground to gather real-time in-the-moment insights at scale. We distil these insights into clear actions for our clients using machine learning technology that identifies key trends, patterns and clusters in our data.
Having raised Series A investment led by Atomico, our client roster is impressive. We work with the likes of Unilever, PepsiCo, L’Oreal, Danone, Mars, Nestle, Deliveroo, Uber and the BBC to name but a few.
We’re looking to add a Head of Data Science to our already extremely strong team to help develop it further. We are looking for someone who is passionate about turning the raw material of data into advanced insights, and applying the latest in machine learning research in advanced but practical ways to drive new innovative products forward to transform an industry.
This is a hands-on role so the ideal candidate brings expertise and experience with machine learning, and scaled data systems, along with commercial acumen, and the management capability to help build and drive a team of world class data scientists and data engineers. We are often working with the latest in research so existing thought leadership on ML-based NLP and NLU, in particular the latest deep learning approaches is a definite plus.
- Playing a proactive leadership role in building a world class data science team that uses machine learning and deep learning, combined with high quality software engineering to build industry-leading applied AI products
- Personally developing solutions and models using appropriate machine learning and deep learning approaches (including both well established techniques and the latest in research) and guiding and assisting less experienced team members
- Playing a proactive, leading role in providing data science input to product strategy, design and road-mapping, coordinating with Data Science colleagues on new opportunities coming from research, and selecting appropriate solutions to business opportunities
- Attracting and recruiting very capable data scientists and data engineers, and line management and capability development of the team, including twice-yearly personal development cycles
- Advising on the operationalisation of machine learning and data science within Streetbees
- Managing data science contributions to product development, planning and coordinating with product management and engineering management colleagues and ensuring timely delivery and adequate quality control
- Managing data science contributions to client projects, including managing resources utilisation and delivery timescales when appropriate/required
- Managing research activities, including those related to potential future products and innovation, and the writing and submission of papers to industry conferences
- Representing Streetbees externally, including at relevant conferences and community events, exemplifying Streetbees thought leadership on the application of AI into human intelligence and consumer research
Head of Data Science shall seek to:
- improve how the firm collects, manages, and utilises data to generate opportunities for the product and to allow the company to scale;
- exploit the data generated by the Streetbees app to generate new revenue streams.
- sponsor the development of advanced data science capability;
- drive scientifically rigorous experimentation
- implement processes, infrastructure, and resources needed to deliver agreed team plans and targets.
- develop and manage relationships with stakeholders on a day to day basis
- oversee the creation of a portfolio of data science projects to deliver business value
- install reporting processes to track progress and communicate results to stakeholders.
Experience and Competencies:
- Extraordinary data and strong mathematical skills are essential. You will have extensive experience of data modelling, mining and analysis in data-driven organisations.
- Expertise and a proven track record in managing operations and developing teams. Strong organisation and communication skills
- Excellent and extensive knowledge of data management, data science and ML technologies E.g. using Python and R, and in particular the technologies and frameworks used in Python-based machine learning Scikit-Learn, NumPy and SciPy, SpaCy, NLTK, Gensim, Pandas, Tensorflow, Keras, PyTorch etc. The more knowledge you have of data platform technologies the better e.g. RDBMSs, NOSQL, ElasticSearch, Hadoop, AWS, Sagemaker, Airflow etc (although none are strictly a requirement)
- You will have a passion and excitement for the developments coming from the application of Deep Learning into NLP/NLU and machine vision in recent years. Understanding of this is a must, and existing expertise and commercial experience in this is a distinct plus for the role.
- It’s likely that you will have a PhD or MSc in a STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) subject, and will be experienced in managing team members with PhDs
- Start-up attitude – You’ll be comfortable in a rapidly changing environment, working with limited resources, and delivering high-quality work at the speed which is necessary for successful business growth. You’ll be a self-starter who doesn’t need much guidance, who can think fast on their feet and are ready to pivot when required
At Streetbees, your company benefits will include:
- A 24-day paid holiday allowance with the option to buy or sell three additional days a year if desired.
- Flexible working hours - we trust people to manage their time and to focus on wider results; so if you need to work from home to finish a project or leave at 5pm on a Tuesday for Choir practice, ensure your manager knows in advance, but feel free to take it.
- A pension scheme - our new pension scheme means that Streetbees will start paying a percentage of your salary towards your pension. For further details on how this works get in touch with our head of HR for further information.
- The Streetbees Lifestyle Committee - any employee will have the opportunity to plan and manage a variety of Streetbees funded socials and activities for the team. Socials and day outs can involve anything from rock climbing or bowling to company meals or pub crawls.
- Wednesday Lunch - We all come together for lunch every Wednesday with a different cuisine each week, paid by the company. Vegetarian and vegan options always provided.
- Fully Stocked Kitchen - Breakfast is on us every morning and if you need a coffee or a snack at any point throughout the day, please be our guest.
- Friday Catch-ups - Beers, wine, soft drinks and snacks provided as we celebrate the week's successes and welcome newcomers.
- Paid volunteering days - one day per quarter with a registered charity of your choice.
- Audible subscriptions - the company is more than happy to pay for audio-books subscriptions of your choice on Amazon as we encourage wider and continued learning among our team.